Tuesday 4 October 2016

Writing a Diary 24 (have to, need to, ought to, want to, etc.)

Having or needing to do things
We have several ways of saying “I must” or “I should” or “I ought to” or “I need to”. They use an impersonal verb or the passive voice as an auxiliary to the verb describing the action:
me a res …
I must
res ew dhebm…[1]      
it is essential to me
I must
res purres ew dhebm …
it is absolutely essential to me …
res ew dhebm gweles …  
I must see …
Res ew dhebm gweles an medhek avorow.
I must see the doctor tomorrow.
res ew dhebm moas dhe …
I must go to …
me a res moas dhe …       
I must go to …
Me a res moas straft dhe’n medhegva.

I must go to the surgery immediately (straight away).
besy ew dhebm        
I must (it is important to me)
Besy ew dhebm moas dhe’n eglos nessa Sül.

I must go to church next Sunday.
ma odhom dhebm a …
I need to …
Ma odhom dhebm a voas dhe vedhek bestas gen kei vy.

I need to go to a vet with my dog.
ma whans dhebm a …
I want to …
Ma whans dhebm a voas dhe chei gwary avorow.

I want to go to a theatre (playhouse) tomorrow.
ma dhebm apoyntyans gen …      
I have an appointment with …
Ma dhebm apoyntyans medhek dens de Lün.

I have a dentist’s appointment on Monday.
me a dal…[2]
I should …
I ought to …
me a dal gweles …
I should see …
Me a dal gweles medhek bres.
I ought to see a psychiatrist.
Me a dal moas tre scon.
I should go home soon.
goth
one ought
one should
it behoves

me a goth …}    
goth[3] dhebm… }                    
me a goth dhebm …}
I ought
I should
Goth dhebm rei gras.        
I should give thanks.
         
                            



[1] Nicholas Williams has <yma res dhybm>
[2] Nicholas Williams has <y tal dhybm>
[3] Nicholas Williams has <y coodh dhybm>

No comments:

Post a Comment