Sunday 9 October 2016

Writing a Diary 28 (home activities)

Current activities at home
We looked at what you might write in a diary or a letter about what you had done previously (using the preterite, the compound preterite or the perfect tense) but say that someone rings you on your house phone and asks you what you are doing. You need to be able to describe the same activities in the present tense, complete with the appropriate hard mutation (verbs beginning with B, D, G and Gw).
You might be asked:
Pandr’esta o cül lebmyn?
What are you doing now?
(gül, gwil)
Peth era whei o cül hedhyw?
What are you doing today?
You could answer negatively:
E’n eur-ma nag o vy besy.         
At the moment I am not busy.
(boas)
E’n tor-ma nag era vy o cül traveth.
At the moment I am not doing anything.
On a more positive note:
Thera vy o pryjyon oyow.
I am boiling eggs.
(bryjyon)
Thera vy o tesky descans nowydh.
I am learning a new lesson. (desky).
Thera vy o toan levrow dhe’n sodhva.
I am carrying books to the office.
(doan)
Thera vy o tegy o skichow nowydh.
I am wearing my new shoes. (degy)
Thera vy o tanon messach.    

I am sending a message. (danon)
Thera vy o tebry kidnyow.
I am eating dinner.
(debry)
Thera vy o casowas ort mûsek.
I am listening to music. (gasowas)

Thera vy o clanhe an vorn.
I am cleaning the oven.
(glanhe)
Thera vy o colhy kywlet.
I am washing a duvet.
 (golhy)
Thera vy o qwary gwary.
I am playing a game.
(gwary)
Obviously not all verbs show hard mutation after the verbal particle:

Thera vy eva gwedren a win.
I am drinking a glass of wine.
(eva)
Thera vy o scrifa lether.
I am writing a letter.
(scrifa)
Thera vy o tevy an gwels.
I am cutting the grass.
(tevy)

No comments:

Post a Comment