Saturday 20 August 2016

Writing a Diary 7 (big money items)

Big money items.

We have looked at food and clothing you might have spent your money on. Now let’s have a look at vocabulary for more expensive purchases and other expenditure. Somewhere to live and a means of transport are usually high on people’s lists. We also look at the present tense:
caravan
(SWFM karavan)
caravan
crow predn
(SWFM krow prenn)
chalet
chei üdnik
(SWFM chi unnik)
detached house
chei tiek
farmhouse
ranjy
flat, apartment   
ranjy meblys
furnished flat     
chei golyow
havos[1]
holiday home    
chei
house
geveljy
semi-detached house
ranjy heb mebel
unfurnished flat 

chanjya chei

move house
Me a janjyas chei.
I moved house.

Here are some example sentences:

Lebmyn thera vy en ranjy meblys.
Now I am in a furnished flat.         
Thera vy o pea mil bens pub mis.
I pay £1000 every month.   
Me a bernas crow predn rag o degolyow.
I bought a chalet for my holidays.


carr
(SWFM karr)
car
kertik (small car)
van
diwros
bicycle
jinn diwros
motorbike 
nowydh
new
devnidhys or
ûsys
used or
second-hand

Here are some more example sentences:

Me a bernas carr devnidhys rag teyr mil pens.
I bought a second-hand car for £3000.
Me a arvethas diwros rag an degolyow.
I hired a bicycle for the holidays.



[1]  especially for summer holidays (<hav> summer)

No comments:

Post a Comment