Thursday 11 August 2016

Writing a Diary 4 (when you did things)

When you did things.
We have looked at what you have been doing and where you have been. Here are some occasions when you might have done things:
de Sül
(SWFM dy Sul)  
Sunday
de Lün
(SWFM dy Lun)
Monday
de Meur’
(SWFM dy Meurth)     
Tuesday
de Merher
(SWFM dy Merher)
Wednesday
de Yow[1]
(SWFM dy Yow)
Thursday
de Gwener
(SWFM dy Gwener)
Friday
de Sadorn
(SWFM dy Sadorn)
Saturday
Here are some examples combining them with previous vocabulary:
De Sül me a wòrtas tre.
On Sunday I stayed home.
De Sadorn me eth dhe gefewy.    
On Saturday I went to a party.
This might be in answer to a question[2], such as:
Pandra wrüga whei gwil de Sül?
What did you do on Sunday?(formal form)
You might want to be less specific about the day of the week:
de
yesterday
degensete        
on the day before yesterday
hedhyw vettin
this morning
hedhyw e’n jedh
earlier today
mettin avarr
early in the morning
newher
(SWFM nyhewer)
yesterday evening, last night
e’n seythen eus passyes
last week
en termyn eus passyes
in the past

Let’s put these into sentences with some of our previous vocabulary:
Me a bernas cota degensete.
     
I bought a coat the day before yesterday.
Hedhyw e’n jedh me a evas gwin.        

Earlier today I drank wine.
For a specific action you do not need a preposition, but if you did something regularly you may use a preposition.
Me eth dhe dhescanjow pub de Lün.    
I went to lessons every Monday.
Me eth dhe’n coljy war an Gwener.
I went to the college on Fridays.



[1]  Market Jew Street in Penzance gets its name from the Thursday market that was held nearby “Marhas Yow”
[2] There will be more about questions in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment