Sunday 21 June 2015

Personal Descriptions 5 (age and gender)

At some point age and gender come into the conversation:
den                                   man
benyn                               woman
flogh                                child
yonk                                 young (Middle Cornish yowynk)
coth                                  old      
tevesik/tevesiges              adult (grownup)
Benyn yonk o vy.             I’m a young woman.
Tevesiges yonk o vy.        I’m a young adult (female).

In English I might say “I’m a woman with grey hair.” In Cornish we say the equivalent of “I’m a woman, grey my hair.” We do not translate the “with”, so:
Benyn o vy loos o blew.             I’m a woman with grey hair.
Den coth o vy gwydn o barv.     I’m an old man with a white beard.
Flogh yonk o vy crüllys o blew. I’m a young child with curly hair.
Pedn rous o vy gwer o lagajow.  I’m a redhead with green eyes.

When talking to some Cornish speakers you may find that instead of starting a sentence with “Tho vy…” for “I am …” they start a sentence with “My yw …” (RMC spelling) e.g.
My yw benyn goth.                    I am an old woman.

My yw tevesik.                           I am a grownup (m).

No comments:

Post a Comment