Tuesday 31 May 2016

Personal Likes and Dislikes 12 (eating and drinking)

You can use <Da ew genam debry …> and <Da ew genam eva …> to talk about what you like to eat and drink at Christmas (Nadelik), Easter (Pask) and other times of the year.
It is also possible to use the present-future of the verb <debry> to eat and <eva> to drink to talk about what you traditionally consume at these times.
so
me a dhebar  
I eat
me a ev  
I drink

In speech we may leave out the verbal particle “a” before a vowel. You may hear
me dhebar  
I eat
me ev  
I drink

In Late Cornish we prefer to use the more idiomatic
Thera vy o longya dhe dhebry …
I belong to (I usually) eat …
Thera vy o longya dhe eva…
I belong to (I usually) drink …

and making it more specific to the occasion, you might say:
Rag kidnyow Nadelik thew da genam debry …
For Christmas dinner I like to eat …
War Bask thera vy longya dhe dhebry …
At Easter I usually eat …
Termyn Nadelik me a dhebar …
At Christmas time I eat …
En termyn hav thera vy o longya dhe eva…
In summer time I usually drink …
En gwav me a ev …
In winter I drink …

If you are talking about an occasion that has gone by:
Nadelik eus passyes, me a dhabras …
(RMC Nadelik eus passyes y tybis vy …)
Last Christmas (Christmas past) I ate …

War Bask me a dhabras lies oy chocolat.
At Easter I ate lots of chocolate eggs.
Me a evas …
I drank …



No comments:

Post a Comment