Tuesday 3 January 2017

Taking a new look at Cornish grammar 23 (compound sentences - verbs)


Let’s see what happens when we have two activities, two verbs in the predicate of the same sentence. This is illustrated very well in the children’s memory game “I went to market and bought …”
Me eth dhe’n varhas.
I went to market.
Me a bernas cota.
I bought a coat.
Me eth dhe’n varhas ha perna cota.
I went to market and bought a coat.

As you can see, after ha and the second verb can be used in its basic infinitive (verbal noun) form. It does not matter if the tense is simple or compound. Here are some more examples.
Me a wrüg cona tre.
I dined (had supper) at home.
Me a dhabras pesk.
I ate fish.
Me a wrüg cona tre ha debry pesk.
I dined at home and ate fish.

This works as long as the verbs are in compatible tenses, past present or future.
Me a wra moas dhe’n coljy.
I will go to the college.
Me a wra madra istory.
I will study history.
Me a wra moas dhe’n coljy ha madra istory.
I will go to the college and study history.

Thero vy o cuntel avalow.
I am picking apples.
Thero vy o cül crampes.
I am making a tart.
Thero vy o cuntel avalow ha gwil crampes.
I am picking apples and making a tart.


No comments:

Post a Comment