Friday 16 January 2015

Learn Late Cornish Bit by Bit 36 (More about having things)

More about having things

There are two constructions using prepositions, dhe to and gen with, that indicate having things:

Ma + noun + dhe vy.                       I have + noun (literally There is  noun + to me.)  
Ma + noun + gene’vy.                     I have + noun (literally There is  noun + with me.)  

These prepositions and pronouns can be combined to shorter forms: dhe vy to me becomes dhebm to me, and gene’vy with me becomes genam or genev with me. So “I have” can be:

Ma + noun + dhebm.                       I have + noun  (indicating ownership) 
Ma + noun + genam.                       I have + noun  (not necessarily owning)

Examples:  

Ma lever da dhebm.                    I have a good book. (lit.There is a good book to me.)  
Ma carr nowyth dhebm.             I have a new car. (lit.There is a new car to me.)  
Ma peder cath dhebm.               I have four cats. (lit.There are four cats to me.)  
Ma sagh genam, bes nag ew peth vy.               
                                                     I have a bag (with me), but it is not mine.  

For emphasis you can still use the un-combined preposition and pronoun:

Ma hedna dhe vy.                      I have that.


No comments:

Post a Comment