Monday 23 May 2016

Personal Likes and Dislikes 7 (playing)

We have seen that we can use me a gar for I love. This simplified present-future monoform can have further applications (mainly in RMC, but sparingly used in Late Cornish).
Some people use it for activities that are habitual and repeated, in the same way that we would say in English “I play the piano” as distinct from “I am playing the piano.” There are several verbs that we can use in this context of talking about our personal hobbies and activities (restricted to affirmative statements):

from gwary playing we get :

me a wary  I play (games)
che a wary
ev a wary
hei a wary
nei a wary
whei a wary
anjei a wary
                            
In a similar way:
from seny playing, sounding we get :
me a son[1]
I play (instruments), etc.

from mires looking we get :
me a vir ort
I watch, etc.

from gwil, gül making, doing we get :
me a wra, me a ra
I make, I do, etc.


Another construction with the same meaning and application uses a wra (the present-future of gwil, gül) as an auxiliary verb - useful for any verbs without a present-future form (and for questions and negative statements).

me a wra gwary
I play (games)
also I will play
me a wra seny
I play (instruments)
also I will play
me a wra mires ort
I watch
also I will watch
me a wra gwil
I make, I do
also I will make, I will do

Examples:

Me a son crowd gen bagas.
I play violin with a group.
Che a son tolgorn en ta.
You play flute well.
Ev a son hirgorn pub dedh.
He plays trumpet every day.
Hei a vir ort pellwolok nosweyth.
She watches television at night.
Nei a wra tesednow bian.
We make little cakes.
Anjei a wary pel droos pub seythen.
They play football every week.
Whei a wra marhogeth re.
You ride too much.
Ev a neyj en mor keniver mettin.      
He swims in the sea every morning.
Anjei a wolya aga scath en Falmeth.
They sail their boat at Falmouth.
         
         




[1]  pronounced /zone/

No comments:

Post a Comment