Sunday 12 June 2022

2022 Day 163

2022 Dedh Cans Trei Ügens ha Trei















De Sül, dewdhegves mis Efen
Sunday, 12th June















My a veu pur vesy hedhyw (gans ow mab wydn bian). Na veu termyn lowr dhe gemeres fotos teg na scrifa neppeth nowydh! Na whath, otta radn a dhescans scrifys genam moy a-varr.

I was very busy today (with my little grandson). There was not enough time to take pretty photos or write something new. However, here is part of a lesson I wrote earlier.















Cressya emann agan tavas Kernôwek Radn 28a
Building up our Cornish language Part 28a


Here is a new auxiliary or modal verb:
mednes (SWFM mynneswish, will, want, intend
Like gallos, it helps to alter the “flavour” of a main verb.


The paradigm is as follows.


Parts are shown with ‹m› mutated to ‹v›, as they are after the verbal particles and na.
After the particle 
(SWF M y) they also start with ‹v›, rather than earlier ‹f›, e.g. e vedn: it will be; e venjait would be. (SWFM y
Initial 
m- is kept after mar 'if' and in affirmative answers,
e.g. 
madam: yes, I will.


This verb can be used, instead of gwil, as an auxiliary to form the future of other verbs, much like will in English.




Present-Future

1 sg vadam, vadma, vadna vy, vydna vy

2 sg venta, venta chy

3 sg vedn ~ vydn,

m: vedn e ~ ev, vednava,

f: vedn hei

1 pl vedn ~ vydn nei

2 pl vedow(gh), vednow(gh), vennow(gh), vedno ~ vedo whei

3 pl vedons, vedn ~ vydn anjei

Any subject can be used before a vedn,

e.g. my a vedn I will

an düs a vedn the men will



Conditional (Also forms an) Imperfect.

1 sg venjam, venjama

2 sg venjes, venjes ta

3 sg venja,

m: venja va, venja e ~ ev,

f: venja hei

1 pl venjen, venja nei

2 pl venjow(gh), venja whei

3 pl venjans, venja anjei



This time we will use the main verbs 

clappya to speak and 

cana to sing,

along with adverbs ûhel high, loudly 

and isel low or cosel quietly.

N.B. In Late Cornish adjectives can be used adverbially.



Here are some examples of first and second person singular.

(You will find some more useful than others.)



My a vedn clappya ûhel. I will speak loudly. I want to speak loudly.

Vadna vy clappya isel? Shall I speak low?

Na vadma clappya ûhel. I will not speak loudly. I don't want to speak loudly.

A na vadma clappya ûhel? Won't I speak loudly?

My a venja clappya ûhel . I would speak loudly. I'd like to speak loudly. I wanted to speak loudly

Venjama clappya ûhel ? Would I speak loudly?

Na venjam clappya ûhel. I wouldn't speak loudly. I wouldn't like to speak loudly.


Here's a little phrase (from Lhuyd) 

(notice there is no mutation where there is no particle):

menja vy pò na venjam whether I wanted to or not, whether I would or no

e.g. Res veu dhebm clappya ûhel menja vy pò na venjam.

I had to speak loudly whether I wanted to or not.


Chy a vedn cana isel. You will sing low.

Venta chy cana isel? Will you sing low?

Na venta cana isel. You will not sing low.

A na venta cana isel? Won't you sing low?

Chy venja cana cosel. You would sing quietly.

A venjes ta cana cosel? Would you sing quietly? Did you want to sing quietly?

Na venjes ta cana cosel. You wouldn't sing quietly.

A na venjes cana cosel? Wouldn't you sing quietly? Didn't you want to sing quietly?






















No comments:

Post a Comment