Thursday 9 June 2016

Marhasna 2 (fresh)

One reason for frequent shopping is to replace perishable goods. There are several words that mean “fresh”:

criv
also means raw, crude, uncooked, unripe
crow (SWFM krow)
only applies to food
er (SWFM yr)

fresk

nowydh (or nowedh)
also means new, newly, novel

Thera vy o moas dhe’n shoppys.           
I am going to the shops.
Thera vy o perna lojow debry[1].  
I’m buying vegetables.
Thera vy o whiles lojow debry crow.
I’m looking for fresh vegetables.
Ma odhom dhebm a voos.
I need food.
Ma whans dhebm a voos criv.
I want raw food.
Da ew genam debry caretys criv.[2]
I like eating raw carrots.
Nag eus boos fresk en copart.
There is no fresh food in the cupboard.
Eus boos nowydh obma?           
Is there any new food here?
Me a venja dowr er.           
I should like some fresh water.
Gwell ew genam fittya boos gen devnidhyow fresk.
I prefer cooking with fresh ingredients.
Here are some professions or shops which might supply your fresh food:
gorvarhas (f)           
supermarket
marhas tiogow (f)
farmers’ market
(chei) kiger
butcher(’s shop)
peber / chei pobas
baker / bakery
lety    
dairy
gwerther lojow[3]      
greengrocer
spiser / chei victûal[4]         
grocer / grocery
                                   
                                                           
                                   
                       




[1]  losow is a valid alternative spelling. SWFM losow dybri
[2]  Some people use My a gar  for I like or I love
[3]  gockor can be used in place of gwerther for vendor
[4]  SWFM spisti

No comments:

Post a Comment