Thursday 3 March 2022

2022 Day 62

2022 Dedh Trei Ügens ha Dew

De Yow, tryja mis Meurth

Thursday, 3rd March

My a gemeras nebes fotos da, saw lebmyn na ellama trouvya ow hamera. Theram owth omrei! Rag fra tho vy mar pedn-scav? Bettegens, my a drouvyas an nessa tabm descans!

I took some good photos, but now I can't find my camera. I give up! Why am I so absent minded? However, I found the next bit of lesson!

Building up our Cornish language Part 9c

Cressya emann agan tavas Kernowek Radn 9c


The verb "to have" is little used in the later language.

Instead, we us  combinations of ma with gen or dhe (or occasionally war

Using the paradigm of gen/gans with/by, e.g.  

Ma genam avalow rüdh. I have red apples (with me.) 

i.e. implying that I have them on my person, etc. 

Eus genes mòna luck? Do you have enough cash on you?

Nag eus ganjo nowodhow da. He does not have good news. 

Using the paradigm of dhe to, e.g.  

Ma dhodho carr nowydh. He has a new car. 

i.e. implying possession 

Eus chei brâs dhewgh? Do you have a big house? 

Nag eus dhedhy lies lever. She doesn't have many books. 

This is where you can try out some more of your noun and adjective  combinations! 

As well as being used for things, these constructions are often used  (randomly?) to describe a person's health, e.g. 

Ma genam an fydn. I've got rheumatism. 

Ma drog mor dhebm. I feel seasick. 

Ma an flou warnam. I have influenza. 

Ma pâs genam. I've got a cough. 

Ma annes warnam. I've got a cold. 

Ma ascòrn trogh genam. I have a broken bone. 

Ma drog pedn genam. I have a headache. 

Using "drog" to mean "pain", this can be extended
to any part of the body  where you might have a pain: 

Ma drog x genam. I have a x ache. 

Take care not to say Ma pedn drog dhebm. 

That means I am mad, I am wicked (I have an evil head, etc.)




No comments:

Post a Comment