Tuesday 11 October 2016

Writing a Diary 29 (out and about)

Current activities out and about
We have looked at what you might say if someone rings your house phone and asks you what you are doing. If they ring you on your mobile while you are out the possibilities expand (see Writing a Diary 2 for more vocabulary).
They might ask:
Pe le esta?[1]or
Pe le thesta?
Where are you?
(literally Where you are?)
Pandr’esta o cül?
What are you doing?
Peth era whei [2] o cül?
What are you doing?
For your location you might answer (using the “locative” form of <boas> the verb “to be”):
Thera vy e’n dre.[3]
I’m in town.
Thera vy reb an chei post.[4]         
I’m by the post office.
Thera vy dadn an pons.[5]  
I’m under the bridge.
Thera vy war an plas/plat.
I’m on the town square.

For your action you might answer (also using the “locative” form of <boas> the verb “to be”):
Thera vy o chevysya lever.         
I am borrowing a book.
Thera vy o egery acont bank.
I am opening a bank account.
Thera vy o kerres[6] adro.[7] 
I’m walking around.
Thera vy o perna cota.
I am buying a coat.
Thera vy o pònya e’n park.         
I am running in the park.
Thera vy o tanon lether.   
I’m sending a letter.
Thera vy o tesky Kernowek.
I’m learning Cornish.



[1]  SWFM Pleth esos ta?
[2]  May also be written <ero’whei>.
SWFM Pyth esowgh hwi ow kul?
[3]  May also be written <thero’vy>.
SWFM Yth esov vy y’n dre.
[4] SWFM Yth esov vy ryb an chei post.
[5] SWFM Yth esov vy yn dann an pons.
[6]  May also be written <kerdhes> but only the <r> is pronounced in <rdh> (<dh> is silent).
[7]  SWFM Yth esov vy ow kerdhes adro.

No comments:

Post a Comment