Sunday 21 June 2015

Personal descriptions 3 (hair and eyes)

Now for physical attributes. Translations between Cornish and English are not word for word.
To say “I have …,” you use the equivalent of  “There is to me …," 
i.e. Ma dhebm
Pe liw ew agas blew?                   What colour is your hair?
The word for hair is blew. The word for head is pedn. The adjective comes after the noun. Instead of saying I have coloured hair it may be simpler to say I am a coloured head.
Ma dhebm blew dû.                  I have black hair.
Pedn dû o vy.                            I am a brunette. 
                                                 (lit. I’m a blackhead)
Ma dhebm blew gwydn.           I have white hair.
Pedn gwydn o vy.                     I have white hair. 
                                                   (lit. I’m a whitehead)
Ma dhebm blew melyn.             I have yellow/fair/blonde hair.
Pedn melyn o vy.                       I’m a blonde. 
                                                   (lit. I’m a yellowhead)
Ma dhebm blew rous (or rüdh).  I have red hair. 
                                                   (rous is more ginger)
Pedn rous (or rüdh) o vy.           I’m a redhead.

The word for eyes is lagajow (lagasow in Middle Cornish). 
There are two ways of describing your eyes; either using <Ma dhebm … > or using <ew> the third person “is/are”.
Pe liw ew agas lagajow?               What colour are your eyes?
Blou ew o lagajow.                        My eyes are blue.
Ma dhebm lagajow blou.                I have blue eyes.
Here are some more possible hair colours and eye colours (some more natural than others).
arhans                                         silver
gell                                              light brown
glas[1]                                         blue/green/grey
gorm                                            dark brown
gwadnliwek                                 pale (weak coloured)
gwer                                             green
gwerwyn                                      light green
loos                                              grey
owryek                                         golden
tewal/tewl                                   dark/brown[2]

[1]  often used for describing the sea or natural vegetation, found in Cornish place names
[2]  Gendall also has donak for brown

No comments:

Post a Comment