Saturday 20 June 2015

Personal Descriptions 1 (who you are and what you do)

Now we are going to concentrate for a while on talking about ourselves and answering questions about ourselves.

Personal Descriptions 1
In a new situation, meeting new people, you need to introduce yourself. If you are not meeting face to face you may need to describe yourself as well. You may want to respond to a number of questions. (Of course you can ask them too.) The part of the verb “to be” that you need is <o vy>; or <Tho vy> if it starts the sentence. Remember that whatever starts a sentence is the most important thing (it saves stressing it vocally).
Piw o whei?                                  Who are you?
In speaking to a child you may use the more familiar question:
Piw os ta?                                     Who are you?
Ellama presentya o honen?         May I introduce myself?
Jan Lobb o vy.                              I’m Jan Lobb.
You, of course, substitute your own name.
Someone may be looking for me in a crowd. Notice the difference in word order:
Piw ew Jan Lobb?                        Who is Jan Lobb?
Tho vy Jan Lobb. (or Me ew Jan Lobb.)   I am Jan Lobb.         
A slightly more complicated question about identity (what name) involves a slightly longer answer (I’m called):
Pe hanow o whei?                         What name are you?
Jan Lobb henwys o vy.                  I’m named/called Jan Lobb.
Obviously, I might be asked about what I do:
Pandr’ew agas soodh?                  What is your occupation?
I might answer:
Descadores/Descajores o vy.        I’m a teacher. (m. descador/ descajor))
Omdednys/Aneylys o vy.               I’m retired.
Descadores omdednys o vy.          I’m a retired teacher.

Descores o vy.                               I’m a learner. (m. desker)

No comments:

Post a Comment